Exploration led to the invasion of Turtle Island, involving many commanders from the European World, since 1500. Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés ravaged Mexico for Spain. George Washington battled for the States. Napoleon Bonaparte menaced peace for French Canada.
Since the invasion, First Nations people have been subjected to cataloged names like an “Indian reservation”, such as “Native”, “Injun”, a cross corruption of “Indian” and “Indigenous peoples of the Americas”, and “Native American”.
i watch you and hear you suffer all day everyday -
- Navajo-English Dictionary, Window Rock, Arizona (1958)
punctuation came from fifth century bce greek playwrights
ancient written languages in their original forms like sanskrit – arabic – korean – chinese – japanese – etc used little or no punctuation
capitalization of words derive from european languages particularly latin
grammar articles such as “the” “a” “an” “this” “that” derive from latin languages whereas classical greek only used one article using many different forms and conveyed differently ancient greek may have had very limited form of the article
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The European World, 1500-1750 (HI203)
- ↑ Wikipedia, Turtle Island (Native American folklore)
- ↑ US Library of Congress, How Did America get its Name
- ↑ Shannon Selin, Napoleon in French Canada
- ↑ Wikipedia, Native American name controversy
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 History Extra, When were punctuation marks first used?
- ↑ Omniglot, Latin alphabet
- ↑ Little Greek 101- Articles and Noun