The COMETA Report is a ninety-page report entitled "Les OVNI et la défense: à quoi doit-on se préparer?" ("UFOs and Defense: What Should We Prepare For?"). The report was prepared by COMETA (Comité d'Études Approfondies, "Committee for in-depth studies") a French group mainly composed of high-ranking individuals from the French Ministry of Defence. The report analyzed various UFO cases and concluded that UFOs are real, complex flying objects, and that the extraterrestrial hypothesis has a high probability of being the correct explanation for the UFO phenomenon. The study recommended that the French government should adjust to the reality of the phenomenon and conduct further research.
Read the COMETA Report in English, "What Should We Prepare For?"
Public blowback[edit | edit source]
In May 2000, Leslie Kean published a story in the Boston Globe about the COMETA Report from high level French military and space officials called "UFOs and Defense: What are We Prepared For?". Her story "UFO theorists gain support abroad, but repression at home," appeared in the Irish Independent, and the French magazine VSD. But versions of her story were omitted in US papers.
Keen’s coverage appeared to be a matter of concern in the Eric W. Davis’ “notes of the Wilson meeting 2002”.
- UFO theorists gain support abroad, but repression at home, by Leslie Kean, Boston Globe, 5/21/00
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- COMETA Report, part 1 (July 1999). "UFOs and Defense: What Should We Prepare For?" (PDF). ufoevidence.org. Archived from the original on July 6, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100706035943/http://www.ufoevidence.org/newsite/files/COMETA_part1.pdf. Retrieved May 5, 2010.
- COMETA Report, part 2 (July 1999). "UFOs and Defense: What Should We Prepare For?" (PDF). ufoevidence.org. p. 38. Archived from the original on July 16, 2009. https://web.archive.org/web/20090716113351/http://www.ufoevidence.org/newsite/files/COMETA_part2.pdf. Retrieved May 5, 2010. "[...] almost certain physical reality of completely unknown flying objects [...], apparently operated by intelligent [beings].", "A single hypothesis sufficiently takes into account the facts [...] It is the hypothesis of extraterrestrial visitors.""
- COMETA Report, part 2 (199) p. 72
- Web Archive, UFO Evidence, Leslie Kean bio